[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Feb 12 00:49:49 EST 2008

Ian Peter wrote:
> people like Chris Disspain and Matt Shears under this heading.

Under "independent technical community" I would include people like Veni, or
McTim, or various others. Certainly not affiliated to any particular company
or given a job profile, or a tenure, that includes "public policy"

> "technical community" tag) have set up a separate mailing list and have
> begun to caucus separately largely because they felt that this main
> list had been taken over by representatives of this unclearly named and
> identified group.

Is "technical community" more, or less, unclearly defined than "civil
society"?  Just a little thought experiment there, if you will ..

> be dominated by people whose interests are primarily to maintain a
> status quo or to protect the power base of existing bodies without
>  necessarily giving due consideration to proposals for change.

You have some proponents of uprooting the entire structure, growing a new
one from scratch.  And you have some proponents of internal reform in what
is still largely multistakeholder.  Even Milton does acknowledge NCUC and
its potential, for all his calls of IGF taking over ICANN (soft!?!)
oversight

The IGF is one of those very rare places and events that bring together
people from a very diverse community, and that is an advantage.  A set
agenda that revolves around ICANN politics and governance, though, is not
what I would call ideal. Unless this is actually going to get renamed the
"ICANN governance forum"?

	suresh

     governance at lists.cpsr.org