[governance] communicating with our peers

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat Feb 9 10:14:04 EST 2008

>On 09/02/2008, at 10:01 PM, Parminder wrote:
>
>>Adam
>>
>>The link takes me to an off-limit page.... and now when the IGF home page
>>also says that extracts are regularly available I still cant find them.
>>Thanks
>

>I got that too, but then I backed up to the main forum page and
>followed the links from there, and lo and behold there it was.
>
>It is especially interesting because the Advisory Group considers
>(at the suggestion of Marcus!) moving the majority of its
>discussions to a new, openly-archived (!) mailing list...
>
>and then decides against it.

I'm one of those against completely opening the list (writer A). I
support the suggestion for two lists: one used for most discussions
would have a public archive (I don't particularly care if anonymous
or not, not thought through how it would work); one used for
discussion of speakers and the like would be closed.

Made the same comment about open/closed MAG lists on the caucus list last year.

The only email I've sent to the MAG list I wouldn't want made public
are those about speakers (and perhaps some comments about
funding/funders.) But I think some members, probably govt reps, would
be even more reluctant to post than they are now if their words were
public, and perhaps all we'd get from some would be official
statements/party line. If we want "multi-stakeholder" to work it
seems a good idea to give them room to get used to new ways of
working.

Anyway, that's my opinion. If the caucus has a position, it would be
good to hear. What should it be,

1. One open MAG mailing, anyone can read the archive. Should it
follow chatham house rule and be anonomyzed?

2. Two MAG lists, one open (should it follow chatham house rule and
be anonomyzed?), and a closed list for discussion of sensitive issues
(suggest it should be noted on the archived list when discussion is
taking place on private, and that discussion summarized if
appropriate.)

Expect there are other options.

Thanks,

Adam