[governance] Re: [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert: Reforming ICANN

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Feb 8 12:16:06 EST 2008

Wolfgang

I know it takes quite a bit to try to respond to your elaborate theses of
this kind, but I will try a few comments.

The processes and forces you speak of are indeed novel and very exciting.
They will reform and transform our governance systems, and if we are
careful, and do it properly, transform it in the right directions. However,
these processes ARE NOT the governance system, nor likely to become THE
governance system.

One of the classical issues of governance is the provision of public goods
(I don’t like this economic concepts based reasoning for a political issue
too much, but will still use it here). And the classical issue about public
goods is that they cannot be produced/ provided with everyone working
independently as per their own interests. We often need to shape that 'one
thing' or a set of 'one things' for everyone. That is the context of policy
making....

Now as we wait, as per your advise, important internet related (default or
explicit) polices are being written by technology companies, by FCC (of USA)
decisions, by OECD kind of exclusive clubs (they are gathering with this
precise agenda in July in Seoul). ICT arena is such that whichever policy
becomes dominant that becomes the default for everyone - there is often very
little local, even national level, choices here. (if you doubt this, we can
have a separate discussion on this).

And ICTs, with the Internet being the chief paradigm, are restructuring all
major social institutions, and therefore these technology polices become
central to the manner of these social restructurings. Now, having described
how these tech polices are being written today, it is not difficult to see
in which direction these far-reaching information society related social
restructuring are pre-disposed (there are sub-altern counter-directional
changes as well, but the dominant forces have a lot of say in most emerging
configurations).

Do you not think that soon it will be too late to influence the emerging IS
configurations. Would not a lot of irreparable damage done with regard to
the interests of disadvantaged sections? Would not the domaint section have
developed, and structurally entrenched, even more unassailable position?

Has your analysis considered these not too insignificant issues?

This is why political power driven governance remains necessary. It is for
example necessary to enforce re-distribution polices at national level,
which are unlikely to be negotiated at MS platforms. And re-distribution is
only one, and the most extreme, example of fairness, equity and social
justice enforcing governance system outputs. Almost all policies have some
such elements.

As, I said, I agree that IS provides the opportunity for great amount of
governance reform. And this can mean reduced power hierarchies, and more
soft power based processes. As long as these opportunities are spoken of
along with the continued relevance of more clearly political (which includes
legitimate power exercising) governance system there is great merit in
exploring them and experimenting with them.

However, any description that constructs models of governance exclusively on
the marketplace principles of self-interest based negotiations is extremely
inimical to the interests of disadvantaged sections, and the most dangerous
statement of unabashed neo-liberalism.

I think/hope you are not doing that, but then it is very useful to put
appropriate riders in the right places in your arguments.

So, while your model may have some validity within a larger more nuanced
context, it is not right to advise those who interests are big adversely
affected to just wait... for some good may still come. The choice of models
from the many possible is itself a political choice and can be linked to our
own interests and those whom we feel more connected to.

Parminder