[governance] Re: [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert: Reforming ICANN Oversight: A Historic Opportunity

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Feb 8 03:41:25 EST 2008

Hi McTim

First some clarifications.

>> The present effort under discussion is aimed at the DoC. So it is as per
>> what you advise. And when you ask DoC to give up supervision it is always
>> wise to also say give it up to whom or what. and next to a ICANN floating
>> free from any political accountability (which is not acceptable to us)

>Who is "us"?  AFAIK, the IGC has NOT reached consensus that an "ICANN
>floating free from any political accountability" is not acceptable.

I don't mean the IGC. I am sorry if the use of 'us' caused some confusion. I
know there is no such consensus reached in IGC. Its only that in our (again,
see, I say, 'our') advocacy work, we (those, in advocacy work) often use the
collective 'pronoun'. This in our mind relates what we are expressing to,
what in our opinion, is the view of the constituencies to which we may, or
at least purport to, connect.

'It is not acceptable to 'me'' or 'what 'I' want is' looks a bit pompous in
this context, and that is also not the real point in collective advocacy
efforts. And use of the collective pronoun also has the effect of a vague
mental check on what we express. Anyway, I am sorry for the confusion. This
'us' here is my organization, and the group(s) that I identify with in my
advocacy work. I agree, I as a co-coordinator should be a bit more careful
in the use of the term in IG related matters.

>> Now to explain briefly why do we seek structural and not merely
evolutionary
>> changes. The new CEO

>AFAIK, Paul Twomey is still CEO of ICANN.

A slip. I meant the new chairman.

>> influencing its function. But all the political contestations around it
>> prove that its functions have great - present or future - political
>> implications.

>It SHOULD only do narrow technical coordination

This statement read with your view that ' an "ICANN floating free from any
political accountability" is ... the ideal situation in my mind' is the crux
of the problem.

It is a simple political concept that only a political body with due
legitimacy can be sovereign, that is have no oversight over it... or to use
the expression ' floating free from any political accountability'.

To make it more comprehensible, to agree that ICANN only does tech function,
and also to say it should be free floating without any policy oversight is
similar to saying that the network and IT systems manager in my office
should have no oversight and be free to do what he wants. Now, obviously
that would not be proper. Any technical function is done only within a set
of organizational (in ICANN's case, global socio-political) objectives,
laying out which is not a technical function and therefore needs to be done
at some other level.

I would say it is quite simple.

>Here is where I am lost, on one hand there are lots of folk who
>complain about the bloated budget and 20 US cents per domain, and on
>the other hand there are folk who complain that ICANN doesn't do
>enough.  I suggest that if you want ICANN to reach out to every single
>person and poll them on how they want the Internet governed (even
>those who don't know what the Internet is) the budget would grow by an
>order of magnitude or more!

You are right. No global governance system can attempt to reach every single
person, in any meaningful manner. And therefore the nature of structures
that mediate representation and legitimization become important. We are here
discussing the nature of these structures. I am saying the present ICANN
outreach structures connect to a very narrow constituency. We need other
structures that connect better, without upsetting budget calculations too
much. Connecting through IGF is one such idea.

Parminder