[governance] communicating with our peers

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Feb 8 03:00:06 EST 2008

Hi Jeanette

>> I didn't read Parminder as criticizing you and Adam personally

>Yes, I know. Its never personally. Adam and I both just happen to be a
>bit paranoid.

See, I have the right to ask questions about CS reps anywhere, and I am
doing it. And I am not going to stop doing it. CS MAG members, as the name
suggests, were selected in some way or the other as representing CS
constituencies, and I am going by that.

All the work we did at WSIS was in two directions - one, to get some
progressive substantive stuff into global IG policy and mechanisms, and
secondly to ensure more multistakeholder-ism. We wanted MS-ism not just
because we fancy the term - but because by having MS representation on
public policy bodies we can influence their agenda and activity.

Now when we have a MS public policy related global body, it is only logical
to explore and analyze how is CS participation in it working. Anybody who
was serious about the original MS agenda would want to know this. For this
we must discuss if the method and quantity of CS representation was right
and adequate, but must also see if CS could make any significant impact,
which was the whole point.

Transparency of these public bodies itself is an important aspect to
influence. So, we are discussing it, and examining what role CS
representation did or could play in this matter. Any issues with it!

>What Parminder said is that efforts of increasing transparency "has
>happened without any significant (or any at all) role of the
>CS members in the MAG."

But I followed a clear logical path to this observation, which you have a
right to prove wrong rather than just keeping on taking umbrage on the
observation.

You have said many times now that you guys reported all that was important
enough to be reported. You say it again in this email itself.

> As I said before, I don't think there was any substantial issue we
>didn't report.

I have clearly stated that I take this to mean that there was never any
special effort by CS members inside MAG to make its proceedings more open
(Wolfgang's email came in later). Because, this clearly is a very
substantial issues, and I have seen no reports from any CS MAG member on
this. Nothing was reported even when this issue has been discussed on this
list quite a few times. Can you please explain to me what is wrong in my
reasoning here?

And even after this thing has gone through so many loops you haven't said -
well, this is what all  MAG CS members did towards opening up MAG
consultations, and this all happened or did not happen as a consequence.

Instead you and Adam are just coming back telling me that I doing something
nasty. Not such a problem for me, but it just might not be encouraging to
others who may have wanted to participate in this discussion.

Parminder