[governance] communicating with our peers

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 6 23:43:40 EST 2008

Yes, Jeremy, we shd put a clearer set of processes in this regard. And this
is the purpose of this round of discussions on the role CS members can and
should play inside the MAG. I am not doing it for mud slinging or anything.

And Jeanette, I agree when you say

>But as Adam hinted already, you will be
>surprised how little there is to report over many months.

But why there isnt much activity in MAG. Is the MAG ever worried about
whether IGF is carrying out its mandate or not.. do they ever discuss that
or not. Are they worried about that people now largely think of IGF as
ineffectual, and not having met its best expectations, and not doing all it
should and could have done.... does this worry them? If not why? Do our CS
MAG members at all bring up these issues at all. Or do they, and no one
engages with them. We need to know. Does MAG only concerns itself with IGF
meeting program management functions. Why wouldn't they discuss the role and
expectations from the IGF. When so much is happening of social and political
significance around the Internet is MAG ever concerned that global internet
related public policy gaps have been becoming more even more significant
post WSIS, and that even the WSIS expectations about some institutional
development in this area has had zero progress. Do they deliberate about
what role IGF has in all this.

We need to know why the present dispensation - the MAG etc - is so smug
about IGF. And do CS MAG members raise these issues. If so, what response do
they get. Who has taken this political decision that the present
non-performing style of the IGF is exactly what it should have been. Is any
dissidence voiced against this. Or is there more or less one voice in the
MAG about these issues...

We all sit here in the dark without any clue about what is happening about,
and in, the only institutional arrangement in the area of IG which has come
out of the expensive exercise of the WSIS, and we are told - well mostly
everything has been reported, and mostly nothing is happening. Is there a
failure of CS in all this.... even if CS often has less than most other
groups, do we raise our voice enough, and often enough, because being vocal
and assertive is the only weapon we have got. Or do we become different in
the plush interiors of institutions than we are out in the open spaces which
are the natural grounds of CS.

Parminder