[governance] Re: [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert: Reforming ICANN Oversight: A Historic Opportunity

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Feb 6 16:49:36 EST 2008

________________________________

	From: Parminder [mailto:parminder at itforchange.net]

	ICANN likes to tell everyone that it does only technical
coordination function. Now, if it does only that I have no interest in
participating and influencing its function. But all the political
contestations around it prove that its functions have great - present or
future - political implications. So, I cant participate in the so called
stakeholder out-reach systems of an organization that says that it does
only technical functions and correspondingly its outreach systems also
mostly seek out people of technical persuasions (the connection, to that
extent, is obvious and fair).

	Parminder:

	Don't buy into the false dichotomy. You can and should
participate directly in ICANN, but that doesn't mean you can't also
participate in Internet governance from outside via IGF and other
mechanisms. Your organization is eligible to join the Noncommercial
Users Constituency (NCUC) within ICANN's Generic Names Supporting
Organization, which sets policy for domain names.  If you are near New
Delhi go to the NCUC and ICANN meeting next week and get acquainted with
the civil society activists in it.