[governance] Re: [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert: Reforming ICANN Oversight: A Historic Opportunity

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:19:03 EST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 2:08 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> There isn't any "IGF" as such

This is a good point, is there an organisation registered anywhere? Is
it a UN body like the ITU (I assume the ITU has some kind of articles
of incorporation). Does the IGF have an of this kind of documentation?
Is it an .int? an NGO? offices? a phone number? letterhead? tax
numbers? anything?

– only some extraordinarily vocal sections of
> civ soc, some sections of government (which may be a bit different, in some
> cases, from the GAC regulars), some industry etc.  Yes there'd be a
> substantial cross section of these that are active in ICANN, but ..
>

> 1.       There's no meaningful consensus likely to be achieved, especially
> with politically charged proposals
>
> 2.       DoC isn't going to give up oversight, no matter what kind of pipe
> dream proposals emanate from IGF, IGP etc

all very true.

--
Cheers,

McTim