[governance] communicating with our peers

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Mon Feb 4 21:01:55 EST 2008

Adam, as to the SKS proposal (which appeared in the mag list as signed
by three people, not five), you are right, I did not check beforehand,
it is posted in the public forum. Good to know, and I should check it
more regularly.

As to the rules, yes, I am not talking about verbatim transcripts with
all the "gory" details, but to make sure the core of all discussions are
made known to our peers. But we would be clearly naïve in thinking that
linking of people to opinions and proposals in reporting the meetings is
not happening, of course.

My main concern, however, is how civil society members of the MAG will
handle this while making sure all relevant issues and, let us say,
political alignments, are known to our peers as the IGF process goes
forward.

BTW, I think Suresh did not understand my main point -- I do not want
civil society to be a strict follower of these rules (I guess we do not
believe in Snow White -- I am referring to the children's version...),
but to do it in a way that keeps a reasonable balance of mutual
confidence. To find this balance without generating conflict in delicate
situations is an art we ought to handle.

Presently, I think mostly we, civil society, run little risk of breaking
any rules, precisely because we generally are communicating poorly with
our peers -- maybe a reason why several of us seem to be rotating around
the same discussion spaces for years, rather than involving more people
in order to be replaced by new (younger included) minds...

frt regards

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org