[governance] What's in a domain name? Serious money

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Feb 1 04:52:53 EST 2008

Le 1 févr. 08 à 08:50, Phil Regnauld a écrit :

> yehudakatz at mailinator.com (yehudakatz) writes:
>> "The world is only now beginning to discover how important
>> it is to have these assets."
>> For the first time, people outside the traditionally insular and
>> sometimes
>> underground world of domainers, as they call themselves, might
>> agree with him.
>
> 	Hmm, I think speculation on domain names started some 11-12 years
> ago,
> 	and it's pretty much general knowledge that you can squeeze cash out
> 	of particular names.

Yes, even better than the chicken and egg causality dilemma, the
balloon (or bubble) and needle inflation/deflation circle!!

>> 	Right.  The vultures are wearing suits now.

No, no, Phil! The specy is evolving, and the young generation has its
own dressing code (say, suits2.0) as soon as it's able to twitter.

>> Investors are so confident in the growth of online advertising -
>> and the
>> ability of domainers to capitalize on that trend - that they plan
>> to soon start
>> selling shares of domain-name companies to the public, even in
>> today's volatile
>> market.
>
> 	Would be fun to allow illimited TLDs in the root at this point and
> watch a
> 	market vaporize.

And the needle is.. Ah, I see with great pleasure that we're ready
for a new round of discussion on ICANN policy:)

Best,
     governance at lists.cpsr.org