[governance] a very grounded and divergent perspective on Net Neutrality

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Dec 27 07:59:14 EST 2008

On 23 Dec 2008, at 20:22, McTim wrote:

> <snip>
>>

>> 1.      In terms of ownership – it is public
>>

> Asserting this ignores the basic reality that most of the components
> of the Internet are owned by private individuals and organisations.
>
> How would you assert public ownership in light of this?

I think it is more complicated then either public or private

The various component networks may indeed be private, though of course
this is not necessary, just as you say a fact of life for most of the
component networks

But the Internet itself  can still be public.  In joining a private
network to the Internet, the owners of that private network agree to
certain things including the use of the open standards and addressing
methods.  And to some extent they agree  to some public governance
over the use of their private network, though they do maintain certain
private governance rights - and the balance between these is still a
matter of much discussion.

So in some sense i think it fair to say the Internet can be a public
while the component networks are private.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org