[governance] yet another election forthcoming

Ken Lohento klohento at panos-ao.org
Sun Dec 21 07:57:31 EST 2008

Hi Jeanette, Ian

I suggest we see how to shorten our process. If we ask the secretariat
to give us more time, we might then also be responsible of (or at least
contribute to) delaying the process now that they have launched it in time.

Let's start a shorter process (after election of the new coordinator) -
For example call for nominations can formally take only a week, since
people are already being informed that the renewal process have started
officially. If afterwards it appears that we really need more time, we
would then ask them that.

PS : I would also like to join my voice to those who thank Parminder for
his work as co-coordinator of the group : thank you!

Best wishes for 2009

Ken L

Jeanette Hofmann a écrit :
> Hi Ian,
>
> I wasn't aware of the deadline when I sent the message re MAG renewal.
> It is true, we havn't got much time for the selection process.
> Shortening our own procedures is one option. Unless the charter
> specifically asks us to proceed in the way you described below, we
> could easily perform some of the tasks in parallel. If we start with
> the call for nominations in early January, for example, we could close
> the call shortly after the selection criteria have been set. Say, end
> of January or so.
>
> However, another option would be to ask the secretariat to give us
> more time.
>
> jeanette
>
> Ian Peter wrote:
>> I've just noticed from the IGC website that the final date for
>> nominations
>> for MAG renewal has just been set as February 15. I do not believe it is
>> possible for us to carry out the procedure outlined in our charter in
>> that
>> time frame, ie
>>
>> 1. get 25 names for nomcom pool - from past experience and with a
>> holiday
>> season that would take us till at least January 12
>> 2. select nomcom - till January 19
>> 3. set criteria - till January 26 (very minimal)
>> 4. call for nominations - close February 10
>> 5. choose candidates - requires at least 2 weeks to do effectively.
>> So we
>> are out of time.
>>
>> And that is assuming we start today, no delays.
>> However I believe we should come up with a quicker process and put in
>> some
>> nominations rather than miss out altogether. So I am interested in
>> suggestions as to how we might proceed in a fair and reasonable
>> manner with
>> a shortened process.
>>
>> Please make suggestions. Within 48 hours there will be a new
>> Co-cordinator
>> announced, I would like to discuss with them our best path forward
>> given the
>> time and holiday season constraints, and your suggestions will be very
>> welcome.
>>

>> Ian Peter
>> PO Box 429
>> Bangalow NSW 2479
>> Australia
>> Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
>> www.ianpeter.com

>>> from whom our nomcom will be randomly selected, then a call for

     governance at lists.cpsr.org