[governance] Re: Reminder - 2008 IGC Co-Coordinator Election Ballot

Derrick L. Cogburn dcogburn at syr.edu
Thu Dec 18 05:59:23 EST 2008

Thanks Michael,

You are raising an important issue, to which I have responded
privately in messages to a few other people. We are well aware that
some people are subscribed twice, and in some cases more, on the list.
As you suggest, a more complete process would be to cull the voting
list of these extra names. However, we didn't feel comfortable making
the decision about which address to choose for people, and didn't have
the time to go through the list, identify the duplicates, mail then to
ask to preferences, then wait for responses. As such, we are relying
on the ethics and integrity of our membership not to vote twice (and
of course, the technology will indicate if someone voted with more
than one address; though not how they voted).

So summary, indeed there could be a more perfect system. Perfect
opportunity for someone (not me - smile) next time.

Cheers,
Derrick

Dr. Derrick L. Cogburn
Syracuse University