[governance] The Future of the IGF

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 05:54:48 EST 2008

Dear Members,

I would like to contribute to initiating a process here on the CS
Caucus leading to our inputs on the subject of The Future of the IGF.
I would also like to request you to view the document contribution
titled "Appraising the Success of the Internet Governance Forum" by
Jeremy Malcolm at
http://internetgovernance.org/pdf/MalcolmIGFReview.pdf to formulate a
basis to address The Future of IGF. There may also be a need for a
practical CS Charter on the issues so that CS can continue to take its
route of interventions even when the IGF process is dormant in its
review stage. The future of determining and decentralizing Internet
Control will continue whether lead by the IGF or any other movement.

Starting from this point onwards, the intended direction of this
discussion is to record your inputs on the following key issues that
can formulate the basis of forming a CS Caucus workshop as mentioned
in my earlier message. This cannot be done in a silo, we need to take
stock of various enquiry questions and my contribution is below and I
would like to request you all to either add more questions to the list
below or initiate answering them and then from taking stock of the
answers we can initiate the process of designing a paper that can help
us develop the workshop for the IGF in Egypt as well as an initial
paper to share with the Chairman.

An example theme and session of the workshop can take into account
Parminder's contribution to recognize and intervene on the possible
rights-based approach (RBA) in IG:
- Internet related rights at the user end - Access and diversity etc
related rights (more ?)
- Internet related rights vis a vis Internet's open architecture  –
elements of open eco-system listed above, FoE, privacy etc
- Internet related rights in Internet's global governance

Similarly you may contribute and add more questions to the following:

1. What was the original intention of the IGF?

2. What has the IGF originally achieved until now?

3. Has the IGF evolved meaningful actions that are bearing results?

4. Has the world become more defensive against the IGF process?

5. Have governments resorted to more unlawful and hidden tactics that
are against the spirit of the IGF process?

6. Has the CS meaningfully participated and contributed to the IGF
process, if yes what results have been produced and achieved, if no,
what have been the hurdles?

7. Has the issues of Openness of the Internet been positively or
negatively affected during these years and have governments become
more aware and restricted the Openness?

8. The years 2007-2008 have witnessed a great deal of Internet
Filtering, Censoring, Physical Harassment of Bloggers, Content
Producers and Groups, have these issues been taken into account at the
IGF with respect to the UN Universal Declaration on Human Rights?

--

Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org