[governance] IGF meeting, Geneva, 23-24 February 2009

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 05:24:49 EST 2008

Hi Adam and all,

>From what I see here, the need is for practical directions then just
the same people sitting in the IGF changing hats and declaring dynamic
coalitions.

I say this because I participated with a number of our members at the
OECD Ministerial on the Future of the Internet Economy and what came
forward as the CS Seoul Declaration set forth some what a practical
path for atleast the CS groups to intervene with the OECD even though
it is a slow process and evolved over the past 10 years.

We have to realize that Governments cannot achieve their policies
without partnering with CS groups and that CS groups act as the
catalyst but are the right CS groups participating or is it just more
or less the same faces representing countries and their CS groups over
and over again without attaining certain progress.

I would say this because the IGF has been very weak to address the
issues of Openness even though people may throw a load of documents in
my face, but still, I would be determined this year to invite and
group up with the REAL openness advocates that have shown such worth
and deliberations in their work as well as activism to be the ones to
saddle this horse and intervene with a well prepared and solution
focused workshop that would not be just one day but would continue
during the duration of the IGF in Egypt and come out with practical
direction for the IGF.

We tend to ignore many issues that Parminder today has put back into
focus and as Asif Kabani has shared on certain occasions that our
pursuit should be now very practical. We don't have to rant the same
issues over and over again, instead, we have to bring the right set of
people to the table.

I would like to show you an example of the situation through this
contribution by our side to the Global Information Society Watch
Report for the years 2007 and 2008:
GISW Pakistan 2007 Report: http://www.giswatch.org/files/pdf/GISW_Pakistan.pdf
GISW Pakistan 2008 Report:
http://www.giswatch.org/gisw2008/country/pdf/Pakistan.pdf

Once you go through these reports, you will see that we as CS Caucus
members have contributed key issues and then have been advocating the
development of a new IT/ICT Policy in the country taking action to
convince the government to include actions in their policies to
overcome these. Starting from my participation in the WSIS process to
this is a regional achievement but again there is no opportunity for
us to go to the IGF and take forward action.

I want us to realize that practical action is happening but is not
being fed into the IGF, why, the wrong people are participating that
have more or less no share in the practical policy change and
environment change activities of the various developing countries
challenged by the digital divide.

Once again I want everyone to realize, it is time to put the efforts
done on the table post WSIS, take stock, determine direction,
associate them to the IGF process and determine the future of the IGF
country wise and CS effort wise. If you dont present your examples
there will be no recognition by the governments and you will see IGF
sinking.

Once again, on behalf of the CS Caucus, I give a call for the Openness
Committee formulation that will lead actionable deliberations and
interventions at IGF Egypt and feed a practical report to the
Chairman's notes and document on the future of IGF!

I need your buyin!

Regards.
Fouad Bajwa
     governance at lists.cpsr.org