[governance] Themes for the coming IGFs

Stuart Hamilton Stuart.Hamilton at ifla.org
Mon Dec 15 09:07:25 EST 2008

Hello everyone

I've been lurking on this last for the past few months but it now seems
I have been outed by Daniel's spot-on email :)

I represent IFLA (The International Federation of Library Associations)
and I am pleased to say that we have finally started engaging with the
IGF. Until recently we did not have the capacity at IFLA HQ for regular
representation at all global forums of interest to librarians, and we
had concentrated our efforts on the action lines of the WSIS follow-up
process. Happily, we have recently increased capacity and this year we
were able to represent in Hyderabad where we had a team of seven
librarians covering the meeting. I represented IFLA on two panels, on
Access to Knowledge (organised by IP Justice) and also on the
well-attended panel on Filtering and Censorship organised by UNESCO.
Ardi Prassad, an Indian librarian, represented IFLA on the panel about
Access to Public Held Information from a Development Perspective. I
would like to agree with Daniel's comment that the times where
librarians were slow to understand the impact of the Net are over now :)

More seriously, I'd like to agree with him that the topic of information
literacy, or digital literacy, should be of great importance at the IGF.
We find that our activities in this area (please see:
http://www.infolitglobal.info/) are ravenously consumed by librarians
and library users, and we would be very pleased to work with anyone who
wishes to see this topic represented at IGF 2009.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Stuart Hamilton
Senior Policy Advisor
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
P.O. Box 95312
2509 CH The Hague
Netherlands

00 31 70 314 0884