AW: [governance] Watch out for that hate speech

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Dec 14 07:26:39 EST 2008

Dear Wolfgang,
there are two distinct problemes we have to be aware of. There is a
free speech issue which is general to every semiotic exchange. There
is an open network standard issue which is much more preoccupying
because it engages our future and the practical survival of our
liberties because ity will be cast in standard, practices; software,
machines, technical cultures, education.

We have to remind ourselves what modern communications are: assisted
relations tools. Typing is mechanic assisted, telephone is energy
assisted, Internet is logical network assisted, the next layer to
come (Intersem, Multilingual and Semantic Internet of thoughts) is
semantic networked facilitation assisted.

Today we still do not much feel that new relational revolution
because this is mostly part of the JTC1/SG32/WG2 work on metadata
registries (ISO 11179) etc. and also work on brain.

Actually it is a complete new paradigm in the way Khun means it: a
different manner of thinking by scientists, engineers, and therefore
users, politicians, lawyers, and already kids. There is since the
early 80s a great top level research freeze we see in the Internet
(the deployment of the global 1983 system), in fundamental science
(the Strings "failure"), litterature, etc. This results from the
change identified by Von Bertalanffy in the mid-XX: instead of
thinking analytically, we more and more need to think systemically.
Something we observe through the example of the International Data
Network since the mide 70s, changing from a dialog localized society
to a polylog global diversity.

This can lead to the vision of three great paradigms we are now familiar with:
- Greeks - qualitative thinking - logic thruth is what we see and
what is necessary
- Copernic, Keppler, Newton, Dirac, Eistein - quantitative thinking -
mathematics - truth is what we deduce and verify
- now - significative thinking - semantics - truth is undelilmited coherence.

The major image change is that Greeks considered the earth as the
center of the world, Keppler the sun, and we each and every of us,
every being (geocentric, heliocentric, ontocentric). This is what the
WSIS has documented. The Information Society is not defined as such
(what is information is still nebulous for many), but it has been
established that it is to be "people centric, à caractère humain,
centrada en la persona". This deeply differes from the gread current
thinking like ISOC "user centric", ICANN "money centric", IETF
"network centric", or even of the scientific fashionable "anthropy"
(the universe we live in is the one which permits Man to exist).

The way the Internet is designed and governed today is harmfull. Not
necessarily for a few stakeholders, but as a whole for the Mankind
and for the Environment. Same as for other pollutions. Except that
the pollution here is semantic and scientific (norms and standards).
Up to now we were protected and constrained by fences and walls, then
by rules and laws. Today we are protected and constrained by the
complexity of what we develop to match the complexity of our
virtualized world. Caring about the way China respects the HR is a
point (and I care more myself about the way the US industry tries to
unstabilize my personal HR [through GNI] in France). But the more
important issue is how the IETF, due to those who sponsors it and its
R&D, is unprotecting these HR in the coming world. IAB raised the
issue in RFC 3869, in clear and bold terms. I am afraid no one really
paid attention, with Unicode and GNI consortia as results (i.e. no
ML-DNS and Google, MCN, Yahoo! signing sales protection agreements in
China). Trying to use more or less ethically the existing technology
is one thing. I think that developping an ethical technology is a
more efficient other thing.

Please read RFC 3935 which defines the IETF mission. It expressly
says that IETF does not develop the technology that could be, but the
one which corresponds to its core values. Has anyone but me in the
civil society considered what are the IETF core values? and if they
match or not the HR core values? I challenged the IETF on that
grounds: the IESG officially published (response to an appeal) that
the IETF has nothing to do with HRs. I think we may have a solution
to make IETF change their way in the future. It called for work and
time. We will see in the coming weeks.

Just to remind that an open Internet technology is an absolute
prerequiste to a free usage of the Internet.
jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org