[governance] Watch out for that hate speech

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Dec 12 11:15:57 EST 2008

You might object, but the purpose of this list is not to discuss
religious issues or bigotry. It is rather to discuss global Internet
governance policies, among them those related to content regulation
and the concepts they are based upon, which was exactly what we
started to do until you jumped in, with your reference to abortion as
'the killing of babies for convenience', with your considerations on
'massive influx of illegal aliens', which, under some laws against
xenophobia, might be considered as offensive, and, finally, mixing
all this with 'islamic terrorism', an expression which generalization
could by itself fall under the laws against discrimination. The fact
that you felt useful or even needed to add that you have a "a devout
Muslim for a close friend and business partner" doesn't change
anything to this: it's just the usual disclaimer as in the "I'm not
racist/antisemit, I've a [jewish/muslim/black/whatever usual victim
of racism] friend" well known discourse.

I wont further comment this. It's simply that this kind of discourse
has no place on this list, as it is by far out of its scope, and I'm
asking the coordinators of this caucus to take due note of this remark.

Regarding your precise question, let me take it as if it was a
genuine one, and simply answer that it perfectly illustrates what was
my point: "'hate speech', without any precision and especially
without specific reference to discrimination, is inadequate not only
as a legal qualification but also as characterization in the
political/social discourse." Hate, as intended in 'hate speech' and
its regulation, is directed against a person or a group of person,
just like defamation, BTW. Not against a concept, idea or belief.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org