[governance] Themes for the coming IGFs

Max Senges maxsenges at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:02:01 EST 2008

Hello

I also want to thank Janette to start the discussion about next years
themes. Naturally the focus of the Internet Rights and Principles [1]
coalition is to promote a "Rights based approach to Internet Governance" as
main theme.

We plan to have a mid-term meeting in Rome which we can use to coordinate
and prepare events with a Rights and Principles focus.

If you are interested in pushing a "Rights based approach to Internet
Governance" as main IGF theme 2009  please join our discussion on
http://mailman.ipjustice.org/listinfo/bill-of-rights

best
max

[1] we have the name change from Internet Bill of Rights on our agenda for
next weeks monthly meeting.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org>wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've thought that, for 60 years and one day
> now, there is no question on whether one buys or not into a right approach.
> The only remaining question, in any new context - like, here, IG - being
> how.
>
> Le 11 déc. 08 à 15:56, Jeanette Hofmann a écrit :
>

>> Meryem Marzouki wrote:

>>> I don't see what "the role of rights in IG" (or in anything else) could
>>> mean.
>>>

>> I meant to frame it in a way that integrates people who have concerns with
>> a rights based approach. "Towards" suggests that all participants buy into
>> this approach.
>> jeanette
>>
>> Let's frame it differently, e.g. "Towards an IG framework
>>
>>> compliant with human rights and democratic principles" or something with
>>> similar meaning. This, BTW, would allow to keep the issue of access on the
>>> table, although framed
>>> differently.____________________________________________________________
>>>    governance at lists.cpsr.org
>>> To be removed from the list, send any message to:
>>> For all list information and functions, see:
>>>    http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/info/governance

"The world of the senses is just the base camp:
we are meant to be as much at home in consciousness as in the world of
physical reality.
[...] We are not cabin-dwellers, born to a life cramped and confined;
we are meant to explore, to seek, to push the limits of our potential as
human beings"
                                               (Easwaran, Bhagavad Gita, p.
10)

Dr. Max Senges