[governance] Themes for the coming IGFs

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Dec 11 09:53:27 EST 2008

The whole transcript is worth reading, not only for the content but also
the structure of the debate: short introductory statements from the
panelists and equally short interventions from the audience.

Here are two of several highlights for those cannot be bothered to read
the full transcript:

Bertrand made a very good suggestion:
"The IGF should allow issues to move from the mapping stage, where we
explore the different dimensions, to basically the setting the goal or
developing consensus on a goal, towards -- and I take Stephen Lau's
expression -- synergizing action.  I think what he meant, and correct me
if I am wrong, by talking about the child pornography is that we have
actually moved now to a sufficient consensus that this must be addressed
that we can get, next year, into a more active format.  And I would like
here to make a suggestion of format.
Some of the rooms here large square tables which can host about 15
people.  Could we explore a format that would be a group discussion, a
public group discussion, on this issue, for instance, picking 15 actors
who have been active in the last three years in one category or the
other and make them exchange on how to cooperate better later on,
operationally."

And Nitin wrapped up the session with the following observations:

"What we have succeeded in doing so far is reducing people's
apprehensions, reducing people's concerns, "Oh, my God, they're going to
talk about this.  This is going to mean unnecessary interference, et
cetera, et cetera, unnecessary interference by governments or
unnecessary interference by NGOs, or unnecessary corporatization,"
whatever.  I think we have managed to get a little bit beyond that, and
there is much greater sense of trust, if you like, cautious trust, but
trust, nevertheless.
I think the most important message I get from listening to all of you is
a sense, to use David's phrase, that we have reached a point of
inflection, where taking -- defending what we do and the value of what
we do only in terms of process innovations is not enough, that people
say now, "What's coming out of this?"  Which is why the question, what
are you going to take away from this? (...) There's been reference to
products.  Mr.  Muguet referred to the possibility of dynamic coalitions
giving recommendations as their recommendations.  Everton Lucero
referred to the example of the child pornography agreement which was
reached in Rio.  Can we design something where, at least in a few
limited, well-defined areas where a process has succeeded in narrowing
differences, finding consensus, we can come up with something which
carries a certain legitimacy because it has come from a broader
multistakeholder process in which the people who have ownership are not
just governments, but governments, service providers, industry, NGOs,
and many others?
Yes, it doesn't have to be done for everything.  It may be done only in
a few areas, like the example that he gave of child pornography.
Should we be thinking in these terms?
And I get the sense that people feel that, look, it's time we started
thinking about what do we get out of this process.
We don't have to be a legislative process.  All valuable products are
not necessarily legislative products.
In fact, sometimes the legislative products are of extremely limited value.
The important thing is it must be a product which the people who have
responsibility for decision take seriously.
And those people may well be Internet Service Providers rather than
governments.
They may have to take that seriously in implementing it.
So I don't think we have to think in terms of legislation in the usual
sense of the term.  But reflecting something which is a genuine
consensus, how do we do that.
People talked in terms of net-based, net groups coming together,
developing things.
And I think what all this is leading to is trying to look towards a
richer contributory process to the global IGF, the regional, the
national IGFs, net-based coalitions developing this work, the dynamic
coalitions coming up with products.  And creating a space where these
things will be talked about, will be discussed.
And I would stress once again there are very few fora where these issues
are actually being discussed in the breadth and depths that we are doing
here.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org