[governance] Themes for the coming IGFs

Natasha Primo natasha at apc.org
Thu Dec 11 07:41:20 EST 2008

Hello,

On 11 Dec 2008, at 1:02 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> On 11/12/2008, at 6:36 PM, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
>
>> We should focus on the themes for the main session instead. For
>> those who didn't follow closely, this year's themes were:
>>
>>      * Reaching the next billion;
>>      * Promoting cyber-security and trust;
>>      * Managing critical Internet resources;
>>      * Taking stock and the way forward;
>>      * Emerging issues - the Internet of tomorrow
>>
>> I heard several people saying that access related topics (reaching
>> the next billion) need a break as there is nothing new to discuss
>> next year.  Do others agree? What are other topics we want to see
>> discussed? In my view, critical Internet resources should stay on
>> the agenda.
>
> I am ambivalent about the continued focus on access, but openness
> should definitely return.  This is a diverse theme that can
> encompass open standards, open content, open source, open
> information, open governance and more all of which have drifted out
> of focus for the main sessions (though better represented in
> workshops).

I think the organisers of the access main session would agree that the
theme needs a new format. I heard a call for a mix of  small "working
group" sessions where stakeholders can have discussions about
strategies and ways forward, as well as more open sessions where
people who weren't part of the process can "get up to speed" as it
were. At least that goes to the issue of "access to infrastructure."
And I would agree that the openness threads should become more
visible ...

I agree that critical internet resources should remain as a main theme.

I support the idea of focusing attention on a right-based approach ...
though we should probably revisit/broaden the discussion on how to
approach it strategically. Being in Egypt will also have the effect of
amplifying the pertinence of the issue.

Natasha

> --
> JEREMY MALCOLM
> Project Coordinator
> CONSUMERS INTERNATIONAL-KL OFFICE
> for Asia Pacific and the Middle East
>
> Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
> campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations
> in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
> movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
> information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

\//\\//\/
Natasha Primo
National ICT Policy Advocacy Initiative
Association for Progressive Communications
South Africa
Tel: +27118372122
Fax: +27865099147
Skype/Yahoo: natashaprimo