[governance] Do We Need An Internet Zoning Law?

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 31 20:48:47 EDT 2008

Roland and all,

  My response interspersed below Rolands...

Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <48B9E757.6806CED4 at ix.netcom.com>, at 17:35:35 on Sat, 30 Aug
> 2008, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> writes
>
> >>Who would act if  an illegal strip-club opened in your small town main
> >>street?
> >
> >  The city council would shut it down, I can assure you IF it ever was
> >to receive a business license to open such a business in the first
> >place.
>
> I wasn't assuming it ever had a business licence - it's illegal,
> remember.

  No it's not an illegal business in Texas.  It IS against some city or
county ordinances.  The distinction is small admittedly, but distinct.

> >  Yet personally, I have no problem with Internet gambling, although
> >it needs to be properly provided for, and therefore regulated to
> >some degree.  The question is as an Internet Right, can this be
> >effected on a global basis and enforceable accordingly and effectively?
>
> If you mean "the right to run a gambling site", then no, because
> different countries and cultures have a different view of the businesses
> run inside their borders.

  The Internet is global, ergo borders as far as access are not relevant.
Internet gambling is not illegal in the US, owning a Internet based
gambling business is illegal.  The distinction is fine, yes, but self
evident.

> >  BTW, "strip clubs", ect. are not normally considered "Pornographic",
>
> It's just another form of business where opinions may differ,
> geographically.

  Very much true.

> >I do believe that some limited regulation is or may be advisable
> >and possibly even necessary for the greater good.  But such
> >IMO, should be determined by referendum vote by the governed.
>
> And as evidenced by your examples, on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction
> basis.

Yes, of course.  But I personally don't support such.  I cannot say
definitively if the majority of our members do, or do not.  I can say
that our members passed a resolution that "Child Pornography" as
defined by legal age in any particular country wide jurisdiction is
clearly NOT supported.  Proliferation of same by any Internet
based means is also strictly and fully not supported by myself,
and nearly 100% or our members as well.  Strict regulation by
federal governments is desired by resolution of our members
to regulate under certain limiting parameters, any adult erotic
content but that individuals are not required/mandated, yet
advised, to restrict such content by any technical means available
and reasonably effective.

  Remember technically speaking, it is far to easy for any user
to be slimed unwittingly by purveyors of illicit content of any
sort or type.  I have been many, many times and did not
realize such until long after the occurrence's).  This activity
continues even to this very day, BTW.  Ergo the public in
some areas of the US have frequently expressed significant
concern accordingly, and rightly so, myself included!

  If you or the members of this forum would like, I will be
amenable to demonstrate and articulate as clearly as I can
just how many ways this sort of thing occurs on a massive
and daily basis.

  But please feel free to take your position up with DHS or any
state official as you see fit or advantageous.  >:)

> --
> Roland Perry

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com