[governance] Re: Why standards from ISO are not freely available?

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 26 10:39:31 EDT 2008

Stephane and all,

  This is absolutely true as "Open Standards" is concerned...
One of the primary reasons this is true, like other "Standards" is
that there are so many self defined "Standards Bodies" most of
which do not agree with each other as to what is, and what is
not a standard.
For instance:
 http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/083007-mpls.html?netht=083007dailynews1&&nladname=083107dailynews

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 05:43:30PM -0400,
>  Jeremy Shtern <jeremy.shtern at umontreal.ca> wrote
>  a message of 73 lines which said:
>
> > A colleague asked me a standards question that I thought maybe somebody
> > on the list might have the answer to: is MP3 an open standard or not?
>
> Unlike "free software" where all the definitions yield almost the same
> result, there is no consensus on what is an open standard.
>
> See varied (really varied) definitions:
>
> http://www.fsfe.org/en/fellows/greve/freedom_bits/an_emerging_understanding_of_open_standards
> (my preferred one)
> http://www.perens.com/OpenStandards/Definition.html
> http://www.csrstds.com/openstds.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standard
> http://www.itst.dk/arkitektur-og-standarder/Standardisering/Aabnestandarder/baggrundsrapporter/Evaluation%20of%20Ten%20Standard%20Setting%20Organizations.pdf
> http://europa.eu.int/idabc/en/document/3761
>
> http://www.bortzmeyer.org/formats-ouverts.html (in French only)

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com