[governance] Contributions to IGF synthesis paper

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Aug 25 16:21:14 EDT 2008

Just a couple of points on this and suggestions to add to the paper which
Parminder is preparing.

REVIEW OF IGF. In addition to our general statement can we add here that
civil society believes that some sort of ongoing forum or structure should
be in place to continue when the 5 year term of IGF expires, and the review
should specifically examine and recommend what sort of ongoing structure
might be appropriate?

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
Can we suggest that, in order to enhance participation, comments and
questions be invited on line in advance from stakeholders, including the
many who wont be able to attend Hyderabad meeting, on the main session
themes and what they would like to see covered? This could be used to inform
and construct the debates, and also the speakers and main session content.

AVOIDING THE HARD QUESTIONS
Can we mention that civil society belives that IGF cannot and should not
avoid discussion on some of the hard issues of Internet governance. Although
IGF is not a policy making body, can we say we believe that contentious
issues should not be avoided, and that the IGF offers a unique forum for
discussion among stakeholders with differing viewpoints on contentious
matters. While agreement may not be possible, discussion of contentious
issues can only lead to greater understanding and possibilities for enhanced
co-operation.

Just a few thoughts to add to those already advanced.

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org