[governance] Rights of the other 99.9% - privacy, ICANN, whois

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Aug 21 16:59:00 EDT 2008

Massive groan.....

I'm sorry, but John has followed the Whois debates closely enough to know that privacy advocates DID propose to carve out natural persons as the ONLY category of user whose Whois data would be shielded. And at the time we estimated openly that that applied to only about 20% of the domain holders, although no one knows for sure.

It's documented in this report: gnso.icann.org/drafts/icann-whois-wg-report-final-1-9.pdf
On page 33:

AGREED:
􀂃 A distinction between legal and natural persons must be made.
􀂃 This distinction must be made by the Registrant at the moment of
registration.
􀂃 There is no need for validation or a challenge mechanism to this selfdeclaration
at the moment of registration so long as a post-registration
mechanism exists.

AGREED:
The implication of this declaration is that the public display of WHOIS records
must be different in the following way:
Legal person: Full display of all WHOIS records
Natural person: Limited display of WHOIS records

Levine opposed the proposed change anyway. Now he claims that this was never on the table. Draw your own conclusions about the man's veracity.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org