[governance] Rights in IG research

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 21 00:55:50 EDT 2008

Milton

> * The problem with a so-called "right to development" is that a "right"
> implies an actionable claim against a specific party, who is obligated
> to provide or protect the right. Who do you make this claim against?

Lets go in two steps to reach right to development (a collective right) from
the 'negative rights' you subscribe to, through the category of 'positive
rights'. First, tell me if you think 'right to education' as mention in the
UDHR, and as applied in many developed countries justifying imprisonment of
parents etc is considered by you as a (real) 'right' or not.

The second step to move towards 'right to development' is to look at another
collective right - collective cultural rights - which all countries (not
only developing ones) other than the US have agreed to, most recently in
signing the UNESCO convention on cultural diversity. This treaty to quote a
text "fills an existing lacuna for cultural objectives in public
international law and to serve as a cultural counterbalance to the World
Trade Organization (WTO) in future conflicts between trade and culture."

What you mention is a caricature of the right to development (RTD). Right to
development (among a few other things) is a moral assertion - seeking
insituional/legal applications - that default global institutional systems
(as use of FoE for cultural domination, in above case) that are deemed
neutral and good for all are often a form of (neo-imperialist?) domination
and that that developing countries have a right to challenge such
domination. If you read the Right to development document you will find
references to a 'new economic order' a couple of time. (a non-hegemonisitc
'new Internet order' may be similarly demanded.)

Since you have agreed in an earlier email that 'notions of rights are
ideologically conditioned' I must give practical uses of the RTD to justify
it. Since you claim that "I just don't think the concept makes any sense or
that its assertion accomplishes anything".

The framework of RTD underpins efforts in global polity on development
agendas in WTO, WIPO, NWICO, and why not, claims of perhaps a 'new Internet
order'. This claims and subsequent 'victories' have been immensely useful to
the people of developing countries.

Now if you think RTD is a part of "rights-inflation and sloppy thinking
about what constitutes basic human rights is really damaging to the
realization of real human rights", it is as per your above quoted assertion
"ideologically condition" in a way different than I am "ideologically
conditioned" and therefore I should not debate it any further. But use of
words like 'real rights' is against ideological relativism you spoke of.

If
> my economy does not develop, who do I sue? What tangible party is fully
> capable of delivering "development" on demand? The UN General Assembly,
> which declared it? (hah!)

To make an illustrative, counterpoint, which tangible party is fully capable
of delivering 'full bodily security' on demand???

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org