[governance] IGCs' input for IGF consultations

Ken Lohento klohento at panos-ao.org
Mon Aug 18 04:25:43 EDT 2008

Dear Parminder

Thanks for all your efforts.

1) To be more specific about the impact of the slowness in the
annoucement of the new MAG, instead of this phrasing:

We hope the Secretary General will take note of the problems caused by these
delays (renewal of the MAG in 2007 was equally slow and the IGF was less
effective than it might have been as a result) and ensure any future
rotation is announced in good time.

I suggest this one:

"We hope the Secretary General will take note of this concern and act accordingly to announce the new Multistakholder Advisory Group as quickly as possible to avoid further delays. The renewal of the MAG in 2007 was equally slow and it brought about several problems for the organisation of the IGF meeting in Rio. We also hope any future rotation will be announced in good time".

I suggest we use that section as the last one (after the sentence below,
if it's kept).

2) Instead of this:

"Please note MAG members serve as volunteers and in their personal capacity,
many may lack institutional support for their work on the MAG and find these
delays difficult and personally costly to manage."

I would suggest this one:

"Please note MAG members serve as volunteers and in their personal capacity; due to delays
many may lack institutional support for their work on the MAG and find it personally difficult and costly to manage."

But I'm not so sure we should keep this specific comment since it's only one of the consequences.

Apart from that, I'm ok with the text.

PS : I'm also ok with the other text sent.

Regards

KL

> (Begins)
> 20, August 2008
> Dear Mr. Desai, Mr. Kummer:
>
> We are writing to express our disappointment at the lack of news regarding
> the announcement the new multi-stakeholder advisory group
> (MAG) of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF).
>
> The next IGF consultation will begin in less than five weeks. It is
> extremely difficult and costly to make necessary travel and accommodation
> arrangements in such a short period of time.  It will be even more difficult
> for new members, up to one third of the group, and particularly for those
> from developing countries and from civil society.
>
> We hope the Secretary General will take note of the problems caused by these
> delays (renewal of the MAG in 2007 was equally slow and the IGF was less
> effective than it might have been as a result) and ensure any future
> rotation is announced in good time.
>
> Please note MAG members serve as volunteers and in their personal capacity,
> many may lack institutional support for their work on the MAG and find these
> delays difficult and personally costly to manage.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus.
>
> (Ends)

Ken Lohento
ICT Programme Coordinator
Panos Institute West Africa