SV: SV: SV: [governance] ISO standards

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Aug 16 03:50:43 EDT 2008

In message <20080816053344.GA11263 at hamsu.tarvainen.info>, at 08:33:44 on
Sat, 16 Aug 2008, Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org> writes

>> Then business models changed so that hardware became locked to the
>> SIM, and the lack of need (by then) to regularly swap SIMMs meant
>> they could be made much smaller.
>
>I doubt that was the reason. Rather smaller SIMs simply allowed
>phones to be made smaller.

I think there would have been a smaller SIM introduced eventually, maybe
about the size of a Sony memory card. There would be space for a slot
for one of those in most designs - indeed there *is* such a slot on most
camera-phones.

But the idea of a phone where you could change the SIM very easily was
lost a very long time ago - many require you to disassemble the case!

>That business model change has not been quite universal yet

It wanders around. Today in the UK there's been a resurgence of cheap
pay-as-you-go phones that are easily 'unlocked' from their original
network.

>Nokia, is still fighting against that business model, they'd hardly
>wanted to make SIM-changing any harder.

For years I had a Nokia 5130, which is clearly designed for ease of SIM
swapping - and a cunning combined rear case/battery. But the later 8210
is much harder - a fiddly case to take apart as well as needing to
remove the internal battery.

>But, back to the topic: I certainly thin that all kinds of mechanical
>interfaces should be standardized in such a way that the orientation
>of any connection should be as obvious as possible, even when you
>can't see what you're doing (whether due to blindness or darkness).

We can probably learn a lot from the memory-card industry.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org