[governance] Proposed contribution for the Hyderabad programme paper.

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Aug 15 09:34:34 EDT 2008

Yes - sorry for the delayed response, I have been travelling.

On 12/08/2008, at 5:33 PM, Adam Peake wrote:

> Proposed contribution for the Hyderabad programme paper.
>
> Just say yes or no.
>
> Anything controversial will just mean the letter's not going to get
> sent and again the caucus will have missed the opportunity to
> influence the process.  Bound to be spelling mistakes, typos and
> messed-up grammar (friendly amendments welcome.)
>
> All the ideas in response to Parminder's email so I hope they have
> our coordinator's support.  He can decide on rough consensus or not.
>
> Adam
>

> Contribution on the Hyderabad Programme Paper
>
> (1)  The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus fully supports the
> letter sent by the Internet Bill of Rights Coalition "Rights as core
> theme of the IGF".  The issue of rights and the Internet must remain
> a central theme of the IGF process.
>
> (2) About the taking stock and way forward session: we suggest that
> this session be organized in the same "bottom-up" manner as the
> other main session workshops and debates.  In light of para 76 of
> the Tunis Agenda,
>
>   "76. We ask the UN Secretary-General to examine the desirability
> of the continuation of the Forum, in formal consultation with Forum
> participants, within five years of its creation, and to make
> recommendations to the UN Membership in this regard."
>
> it is important that a review and evaluation of the IGF begins
> promptly.
>
> The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus is organizing a
> workshop "The role and mandate of the IGF" <http://www.intgovforum.org/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=71
> > and we would be pleased if this workshop could help support
> discussion during the taking stock session.  We would be pleased to
> work with the MAG and all other stakeholders in discussions to begin
> the process of review and evaluation of the IGF and how to best to
> include this important topic in the taking stock and way forward
> session at the Hyderabad meeting.
>
> (3)  The process of merging individually proposed workshops and
> setting-up the working groups that are now developing the main
> session workshops has been very unclear.  How were some workshops
> accepted in these working groups and some not?  What efforts have
> been made to ensure that a balanced representation of views is
> present in each of the working groups organizing the main session
> workshops?
>
> The caucus believes this process has not worked well, we would like
> clarification of the process and to be assured that all stakeholders
> will have the equal opportunity to participate in the working groups
> developing the main session workshops (and therefore greatly
> influencing the main session debates.)
>
> (4) We would like to hear about logistical arrangements for the
> meetings, particularly the daily schedule (start, finish, breaks
> etc), information about hotels, particularly affordable hotels, food
> and refreshments, Internet cafes, and the IGF Village.

> [...]

Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
host -t NAPTR 1.0.8.0.3.1.2.9.8.1.6.e164.org|awk -F! '{print $3}'

     governance at lists.cpsr.org