[governance] [Bill-of-Rights] Rights in IG research

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 13 00:14:28 EDT 2008

Karl and all

  Again my response is interspersed below

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Lisa Horner wrote:
>
> > I agree with Jaco that the existing institutions are already in place
> > to protect and interpret rights at various levels from the
> > sub-national to international.  IMHO, the challenge is to bring these
> > institutions up to standard ...
>
> It is not institutions that protect rights, but people who act and
> participate to protect rights.

  Exactly right!

> For example, ICANN is often pointed out as being deficient in the
> protection of privacy.

  Yes, and mostly to little avail.

> Yet the public barely participates within ICANN.

  Very true, and a shame now 10 years later.  In fact,
in recent years the numbers of active participants has
declined sense the debacle of the GA.

> No matter what institutions and constitutions and bills of rights are
> created, they are worthless unless people participate either directly or
> via active organizations (most particularly organizations that they
> create themselves rather than those that are gifted upon them like some
> kind of large horse placed outside the gates of Troy.)

  I am not always sure that the Trojan Horse analogy is appropriate
always, but often it has been. Organizational capture via misleading
intentions stated as base principals, such as the ALAC has proven
to have been, or originally base principals abrigated later in the
interest of compermise and based on a supposed "Rough Consensus".
Such are demonstrations of lack of creditability, and accountable
and open process.

>                 --karl--

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com