[governance] [Bill-of-Rights] Rights in IG research

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 06:02:18 EDT 2008

Hi

I agree with Jaco that the existing institutions are already in place to protect and interpret rights at various levels from the sub-national to international.  IMHO, the challenge is to bring these institutions up to standard so that they're capable of doing this job in relation to new and emerging issues concerning internet communications.  I agree that constitutional amendments are unlikely in many countries, but that doesn't prevent communications policy and practice concerning issues that might seem unrelated to rights (interoperability, commercial net neutrality...) from being in line with human rights standards. Part of the power of the international rights system stems from the moral obligations it places on people to uphold rights - we might not always need legal enforcement.

I was interested in an idea put forward by the WSIS human rights caucus about the creation of an internet governance institution that would be responsible for monitoring governance policy and processes and assessing whether they uphold or undermine minimum rights standards.  Does anyone know if there was any more work done on that front?

Many thanks,
Lisa