[governance] Proposed contribution for the Hyderabad programme paper.

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Aug 12 05:33:32 EDT 2008

Proposed contribution for the Hyderabad programme paper.

Just say yes or no.

Anything controversial will just mean the letter's not going to get
sent and again the caucus will have missed the opportunity to
influence the process.  Bound to be spelling mistakes, typos and
messed-up grammar (friendly amendments welcome.)

All the ideas in response to Parminder's email so I hope they have
our coordinator's support.  He can decide on rough consensus or not.

Adam

Contribution on the Hyderabad Programme Paper

(1)  The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus fully supports the
letter sent by the Internet Bill of Rights Coalition "Rights as core
theme of the IGF".  The issue of rights and the Internet must remain
a central theme of the IGF process.

(2) About the taking stock and way forward session: we suggest that
this session be organized in the same "bottom-up" manner as the other
main session workshops and debates.  In light of para 76 of the Tunis
Agenda,

    "76. We ask the UN Secretary-General to examine the desirability
of the continuation of the Forum, in formal consultation with Forum
participants, within five years of its creation, and to make
recommendations to the UN Membership in this regard."

it is important that a review and evaluation of the IGF begins promptly.

The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus is organizing a workshop
"The role and mandate of the IGF"
<http://www.intgovforum.org/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=71> and
we would be pleased if this workshop could help support discussion
during the taking stock session.  We would be pleased to work with
the MAG and all other stakeholders in discussions to begin the
process of review and evaluation of the IGF and how to best to
include this important topic in the taking stock and way forward
session at the Hyderabad meeting.

(3)  The process of merging individually proposed workshops and
setting-up the working groups that are now developing the main
session workshops has been very unclear.  How were some workshops
accepted in these working groups and some not?  What efforts have
been made to ensure that a balanced representation of views is
present in each of the working groups organizing the main session
workshops?

The caucus believes this process has not worked well, we would like
clarification of the process and to be assured that all stakeholders
will have the equal opportunity to participate in the working groups
developing the main session workshops (and therefore greatly
influencing the main session debates.)

(4) We would like to hear about logistical arrangements for the
meetings, particularly the daily schedule (start, finish, breaks
etc), information about hotels, particularly affordable hotels, food
and refreshments, Internet cafes, and the IGF Village.

(5) Will there be funds to support participants from developing
countries and civil society?  Could we please have details of this.
We note that the September consultations may be too late to manage a
smooth process for allocating funds. Improving participating from
developing countries has been identified as a critical issue by the
IGFs to date, we are concerned that it is not being adequately
addressed.

Thank you,

Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org