[process] Re: [governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 8 06:58:24 EDT 2008

Parminder and all,

  A well argued comparison, IMO.  Of course I am very sure
others will strongly, and in some underhanded ugly fashion, disagree.
Such seems to be the preferred method of political discourse over
the past 10 or so years.  Sad commentary, eh?

  However given ICANN often-wrong methods and DOC/NTIA's
less than adequate, sometimes skewed oversight at times as well, the
disconnect deriving in the current state or affairs is what is the
result.
Now we need to try to make that better, not do constant finger
pointing and he said/she said endlessly circular arguments.

  So again I pose my original question in response:  Whom or what other
than ICANN itself, or DOC/NTIA is well suited to oversee ICANN?
I believe we have largely agreed that the UN and/or any of it's organs
or affiliated organizations are not suited to do so.  I believe that
Syracuse EDU. also has been eliminated as an option.

  Any other suggestions?  And if so, why would they be better suited?

Parminder wrote:

> Bill
>
> >BTW, when people like John talk about ICANN needing ‘adult
> supervision,’ they are talking >about ICANN---the board, et
> >al---needing oversight.
>
> (snip)
>
> >In contrast, I didn’t hear him saying that other countries are
> juvenile, so characterizing the point as patronizing and
> neo->imperialist seems a tad misplaced.
>
> Yes, I know John said that it is the ICANN which needs adult
> supervision of the US. But what you are ignoring is that he also said
> that --- developing country governments “in reality
 know that ICANN
> desperately needs the DOC's adult supervision”.
>
> First of all this is a blatant untruth. Developing country governments
> hate the principle of US’s unilateral political supervision of the
> ICANN (and you know that). The people and civil society in these
> countries (mostly) hate it even more.
>
> Second, to posit such a helpless dependency attitude as characterizing
> developing countries (which as I said is untrue) is centrally and
> strongly neo-imperialist. That’s the meaning of neo-imperialism.
> Period.
>
> So, I consider it my political duty to offer my political critique to
> such a position using the political-analytical language of current
> usage. (And, I would go further to say, I am as justified in also
> critiquing the apologists for the proponents of such views.)
>
> I do know it is not pleasant to be critiqued as holding
> neo-imperialist views, but I am more bothered about the sensitivities
> of the countries and people who are the butt of neo-imperialism rather
> than the feelings of John Levine, if they be, inadvertently, touched
> in the process.
>
> You can of course choose whose feelings you are more bothered about
> depending upon personal or political preferences. But as I said, no
> superiority here please.
>
> > particularly if that means more multi-screen screeds.
>
> After you say, yes, I agree with McTim, when he proposes launching
> official ‘inappropriate list behavior’ proceedings against me, and add
> that I am seriously distorting what someone said on the list, you
> expect that I should not explain myself in some detail but simple run
> away and hide since ‘you have spoken’ and that should be it.
>
> And now for some personal epithets/ attacks you used against me and my
> about you, (because if you just let it be, such behavior is so
> dominantly established, it only grows)

dipping into the gutter

> “insufferable snobbery”

 belligerent fight picking

> “systemic in-group exclusionary behavior”
>
> Your serve, please.
>
> Since Avri has professed eagerness to learn Hindi idioms, I can start
> with you who uses US political history for ‘labeling’ me – they say
> over here ‘before you sit on a cot you should swipe under it with a
> stick to make sure there is not anything under it’. You may think
> about paying attention to this.
>
> Parminder

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com