[governance] RE: [Bill-of-Rights] Rights in IG research

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 07:31:31 EDT 2008

Hi Max and all

Thanks for your interest in what we're doing.  I'm equally interested in
your work and in exploring potentials for collaboration.  Maybe we could
start a 'research ideas' and 'research in progress' page on the bill of
rights wiki?

Apologies in advance for the length of this email - those who aren't
interested can delete email or go into skim-read mode now!

The research we're doing is as part of the ongoing Freedom of Expression
Project.  I think I've mentioned before that we're working with 6 key
partner organizations in different countries to develop policy
principles that, if adhered to, would shape a global communications
environment that would support human rights and a 'public interest'
communications environment.  They address issues spanning
infrastructure, code and content.  The latest draft of the principles is
available and open for comment at
http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk/resources/public+interest+principl
es+for+the+networked+communications+environment.

The principles and values that they express are purposefully broad so
that they can be tailored to specific contexts.  The idea is for them to
provide an overarching framework for policy discussion and advocacy at
different scales.  For example, our project partners are currently
working to elaborate what they might mean in different country contexts,
and this in turn will provide the foundations for policy work.  A major
aim is to identify spaces where different stakeholders can agree that
they share certain values and principles, and work to shape policy
accordingly.

We have been working to base all of our work so far in international
human rights standards, in particular freedom of expression, the right
to culture and the right to participation in government.  We've taken an
expansive definition of freedom of expression that many (but not all)
human rights institutions and lawyers around the world take.  This
includes positive dimensions of freedom of expression, including the
notion that governments are responsible for putting the necessary
structures/infrastructures in place for the right to be realized.
Incidentally, that's why I don't believe that we need to be advocating
for new rights such as the right to the internet or to communication.
The sentiments and demands expressed by these 'new' rights are already
contained within the human rights system.  In my opinion, our energy
should be focused on further developing and upholding what we have
already, for example, further embedding expansive definitions of freedom
of expression in rights and policy institutions.  And, as Anriette and
Milton importantly pointed out, in furthering/developing understanding
about what international rights standards and compliance with them
actually means in practice.

The research that I referred to before is intended to contribute to this
effort, illustrating how an expansive definition of freedom of
expression is being supported in contemporary legal and philosophical
thought and case law, and identifying areas where further work needs to
be done.  It is taking our policy principles framework as a starting
point, ensuring that it is firmly rooted in the international human
rights system.  In this way, if the framework was used as a basis for
policy discussion, human rights standards would effectively be
'mainstreamed' within the discussions.

Whilst I'm sure some would make the argument that these aren't IG
issues, we hope that we're making a positive contribution towards
ensuring that the 'shared norms and principles that shape the use and
evolution of the internet' are rooted in human rights standards.  These
are the most widely accepted and acknowledged ethical standards in the
world, which (in reference to earlier conversations) is why it makes
sense to us to work with them and build on them, rather than try to
reinvent or disregard them.

I'll leave it there for now, but I'm interested to hear anybody's
thoughts on the work we're doing,  and am keen to explore opportunities
to collaborate on further research on any of these issues.

Many thanks,

Lisa