[governance] Voting process for co-coordinator election

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Aug 7 07:00:20 EDT 2008

Parminder, thank you.

One comment below:

>Hi All
>
>The voting for a new co-coordinator of IGC to
>replace Vittorio will take place through a web
>based system between 10th and 17th August. The
>result will be announced on the 19th.
>
>The two candidates are David Goldstein and Ian
>Peter, whom I thank for volunteering for this
>important organizational responsibility.
>
>The voting will be conducted by me, as directed
>by the charter
>(<http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-charter_final-061014.html>http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-charter_final-061014.html
>), with the help of Derrick Cogburn of Syracuse
>University who has offered the software he has
>earlier used for GigaNet elections, and also to
>administer the voting process.
>
>Each person subscribed to the governance list as
>on June 7th 2008 ( i.e. two months prior to the
>start of the election process) will be sent an
>email with information on the voting process,
>conditions etc along with a unique web-link that
>takes the person to a secure website. The list
>subscriber will then be given the option to
>affirm/ accept membership of the caucus by
>subscribing to the charter (as per the charter¹s
>provisions for the voting process). On such
>positive affirmation, the person will be taken
>to the ballot page where the vote can be cast by
>ticking against one of the two candidates. A
>Œnone of the above¹ option will also be
>available.
>
>A vote once cast cannot be changed.
>
>While we strongly encourage everyone to vote as
>a sign of ones active engagement with the
>caucus, voting is not compulsory for retaining
>caucus membership, i.e. if one is already on the
>caucus members list ( see
><http://www.igcaucus.org/members-080721.html>www.igcaucus.org/members-080721.html
>). However, it is important to note that, as per
>the charter¹s provisions on charter amendments,
>one has to have voted in the previous election
>to be able to vote at any charter amendment
>process. Therefore, to have voting rights in any
>charter amendment process (but not for any other
>voting process) that may come before the next
>election, one HAS to vote in this election.

This being so, could the ballot please include
the option to vote for "none of the above" in
addition to the two candidates.  I do not mean to
imply any disapproval of either David or Ian (I
intend to vote for both early and often :-) ) but
simply as an opportunity for anyone who cannot
decide (whatever) to remain on the voting
register.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org