[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 6 05:04:10 EDT 2008

Bill and all,

  Well Bill, you summed it up pretty well.  One would be wise
to keep in context/mind that there has been a disjuncture between life
worlds in the networking world long before the Internet was in existance.
And no, Al Gore didn't invent that either!  >:)

William Drake wrote:

> Hi MM,
>
> On 8/7/08 3:49 AM, "Milton L Mueller" <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
>
> > While the epithet "neo-imperialist" may not be a productive way to move
> > forward, Levine did not just talk about "powerful political forces in
> > DC," he tried to defend the arrangement, and when asked what value US
> > oversight added, he replied in a dismissive way that anyone who had been
> > at an ICANN meeting had to conclude that it needed "adult supervision."
> > Why is he exempt from criticism here?
>
> There's an distinction between disagreeing with someone's views and personal
> attacks with epithets etc.  If we maintain it probably most will be happier
> here and the conversation more productive. Pretty obvious.
>
> > That is why, ahem, IGP developed and proposed a workshop on the JPA for
> > the Hyderabad IGF. Keep in mind that the progression is clear. USG can
> > start by terminating the JPA, which doesn't cost it control of the root
> > and still gives it life or death power over ICANN, but ending the JPA
> > removes the most direct and egregious forms of US intervention. And we
> > have made very specific proposals as to what conditions would justify
> > termination of the JPA, although, like you, we are routinely
> > disappointed with the level of attention those issues tend to draw from
> > this crowd.
>
> While Iike all good citizens I normally commit all IGP utterances to memory
> (just kidding), and recall reading your NTIA submission, I can't say that
> I've ever seen anyone really make the sort of case I was asking for.  There
> is for example a difference between saying the JPA should be ended in order
> to depoliticize things and bring cheer to people who just don't like the USG
> role, and making a case that will resonate in the beltway, Silicon Valley,
> etc that there are no significant risks to doing so in terms of security,
> stability, 'foreign dictators asserting control,' etc.  WSIS-speak etc won't
> cut it, there are probably like five people on K St. or Capitol Hill who
> could tell you what the Tunis Agenda says.  A compelling case would need to
> be anthropologically attuned to the tribal customs, communicative practices
> and collective memories of the target audiences, and promoted in a manner
> that works in the local institutional ecology.  Or, we can just stand back
> and say screw 'em, they're insular and don't get what people elsewhere are
> thinking, in which case the prospects for change remain dim.
>
> Not defending it, just saying that's how it is.  There's an almost total
> disjuncture between life worlds here.
>
> Bill

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com