[process] Re: [governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 5 19:36:23 EDT 2008

McTim and all,

McTim wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Jeffrey A. Williams
> <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > McTim and all,
> >
> >  I can't see where Parminder said anything abusive.  Sure he
> > may disagree with the "Messenger", even strongly, but that
> > hardly is any form af abuse.  Just my two cents...
> >
> >  McTim if DOC/NTIA released the Roots management, and
> > therefore ICANN/IANA, whom do  you suggest pick up that
> > oversight, specifically?
>
> Well the root is separate from IANA contract, so there are 2 issues of
> oversight, but I digress.  ICANN is overseen by it's Board, I see no
> need of any other "oversight".

  Not really, the managment of the Root servers is an IANA technical
function directed by ICANN whom is overseen by DOC/NTIA, so the
equivication you indicate, all be it stated properly, doesn't reflect the
current and now long standing reality.

> Or should ICANN operate without
> > any government or other authoritative oversight?
>
> Works for me.

  Never going to fly, sorry.  ICANN's Bod has clearly shown it has
particular prefrences, has little interest in users, if any, and has not
been honest, transparent, or accountable to any reasonably recognized
standard.

>   Obama,
> > should he become the Pres., wants an Internet Czar, and
> > will likely get it.
> >
> >  And BTW, McTim, I been involved sense long before ICANN
> > was even in anyone's imagination, and was present when ICANN
> > was formulated.
> >
> >  You see McTim, anyone can criticize DOC/NTIA from the outside,
> > and I as well have done so on more than one occasion.  But without
> > recommending an alternative, one looses ones viability as to what should
> > be done.
>
> I have recommended on several occasions my solution given above.

  Yes, and it remains insufficient, an non-starter, and represents dangerous
judgment.  I am sure that if Obama is elected, or if McCain is elected, such
as solution will not be given serious consideration.

>  What ICANN has on several occasions indicated indirectly
> > is that it wants to be cut free of oversight all together and move to
> > Geneva.
>
> ?? I've never seen this mentioned by ICANN.

  Well it's been mentioned many times.

>   For this reason, amongst many others, DOC/NTIA is going
> > to be very reluctant in releasing them from their contractual agreement.
>
> Very reluctant, altho not for that reason.

  Again sorry, you are mistaken to a degree.  Nebulus international
corporations are not favorable to the USG, and many other national
governments.

> >  Secondly, as ICANN has yet to fulfill it's mandate in the MOU, release
> > would be unwise and certainly premature.
>
> At the moment, that's probably right.

  What I said is exactly right!  Yet for ICANN to clearly and adaquately
to the stakeholder community that it shall mend it's ways and comply, the
USG/DOC/NTIA and congress will be VERY reluctant to release them
from their contractual obligation.  And the USG/DOC/NTIA would be,
and currently ARE quite correct in that insistance.

>   When ICANN fully and
> > without complication or equivocation recognizes in it's structure that
> > the user is king, as it were, they seriously need adult or something
> > approaching adult supervision.  The ITU, nor any other UN organ
> > can adequately provide for that oversight, given their controversial
> > long history.
>
> Agreed.

  Good, glad you agree.  Yet you offer no realistic alternitive that
would be based in good judgment.  Not very helpful.

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
> mctim.blogspot.com

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com