Rights and internet governance, was RE: [governance] Taking down a site [was: beijing ticket scam]

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Aug 6 08:37:46 EDT 2008

Hallo all

Lisa, you are correct in that the SA Human Rights Commission is the appropriate
institution to deal with this. In fact they deal with hate speech issues quite often.

They are under-resourced, but they do do excellent work.  Here is their URL
http://www.sahrc.org.za/sahrc_cms/publish/cat_index_26.shtml

Draft hate speech legislation has been before parlaiment a few times here in South
Africa.  I am not sure what the status is. If I remember correctly the draft bill was badly
not well conceived and very controversial.

I certainly think that making a formal complaint to the HRC (human rights
commission) would the way to start if the intension is to create public awareness of
the issue.

It will also drive lots of traffic to the site.... which is less desirable.  Personally, Rui, I
would just ignore it.

Lisa, I completely agree with you about the relationship between rights and internet
governance. Sadly I think that we have lost ground since WSIS.  As you say there is a
lot of work to be done to get beyond rights rhetoric and to work out what the
implementable rights-based public policy principles are that we can work with on
specific issues, e.g. those you mention, for example net-neutrality.  APC tries to adopt
this approach in our access work.

I also think that the mainstream human rights movement has not engaged this terrain
enough, altough there are exceptions.

Anriette