[process] Re: [governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 6 06:28:40 EDT 2008

> hey, a lot of my friends in grad school were members.  no need to call
> being called one of them an insult.  they were/are sincere believers
> in what they see as a better political way who use certain political
> forms of activity and who follow an assassinated exemplar.
>
> cheers,
>
> a.

Avri

I think, as I reply, this can become a diversionary thread to the main issue
but....

Ok. An insult is first of all in the mind and intent of the insultor. You
can go back and read how Bill and McTim used the term and then give your
views on how should I treat it - as an insult or not.

On you facts you may be right. In fact you can proceed against Bill and
McTim for insulting Spartacus Youth Club by using it as insult against me.

Now when we are on the subject, it is a trouble enough for us, the rest of
the world (BTW a much bigger majority) to have to be addressed in terms from
US history, and we then need to go looking up the web to figure out what it
is..... I of course do know nothing about what this group was, but I can
clearly see what Bill and McTim mean to convey in using the term in
charaterising my behavior. That's what counts for, no.

To go on, now about cultural imperialism (McTim, yes, the appeals committee
is there)I think people should be  a little more global in the terms they
use on such global spaces as this list... Use of such parochial terms itself
is hugely exclusionary (the descriptive purpose for which SYC term got
actually used)...

I bet not one person on this list from outside US and maybe some European
countries have the foggiest idea what could ' Spartacus Youth Club' be. But
one must remain quite, not show ones ignorance and be a bit squeamish even.
(and on the side scurry to websites and waste time.)

I think, some time I should try and get some Indians together and start
speaking in local idioms on this list.... But everyone knows what will
happen. We will simply be ignored...

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org