[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Aug 6 03:31:20 EDT 2008

Hi Ian,

On 8/6/08 8:50 AM, "Ian Peter" <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> The assumption here is that a compelling argument to DOC is advanced and
> they suddenly change their mind. That might work. Another possibility is for
> ICANN to move offshore, restructure, set up an alternative authorisation
> structure with the UN, create another A root, and then the emperor has no
> clothes. Not hard to do if the will exists and ICANN really wants change.

I can assure you I'm not assuming that a persuasive case will necessarily
lead to change.  I'm only saying that in the absence of a persuasive case
there will be no change; necessary > sufficient condition.  Why would
government officials take a (domestically) politically risky and entirely
discretionary decision if nobody is asking them to do it, in a manner that's
salient?

Believe it or not, ideas and argumentation, good or horrific, really do
matter in DC; just ask a neocon.  But when all the thinking and talking are
coming from one side, the choice of path to take is literally no contest.

BD

     governance at lists.cpsr.org