[governance] beijing ticket scam - is this governed at all?

John Levine icggov at johnlevine.com
Mon Aug 4 09:42:07 EDT 2008

>Very interested in analysis of why this is so when it is a known
>major fraud site that has victims in many countries. Is there any
>mechanism to stop major international scams?

Sort of, keeping in mind that this particular example is a minor scam,
not a major one.

There are probably several dozen scam sites like that set up every
day.  There are two interrelated problems -- one is that it's common
for the registrar to be in one country, the web site in a second, and
the mail servers sending promotional spam to be in yet a third through
50th.  The other is that there's a great deal of finger pointing.  Is
the responsible party the registrar, eNom in this case?  The hosting
company where the web site is located, Servepath?  The office-in-a-box
in Arizona that's listed as their address?  All of the above?  MAAWG
and the APWG have been working on setting up semi-formal contact
systems to get registrars and hosters to take down bogus sites, but
they can't just do a takedown on every random complaint, or else they
get grief like Godaddy for turning off legitimate sites who have
annoyed someone.

This would be an excellent area for some governance guidelines.  Too
bad we're too busy deciding what font the ballots should be printed
in.

R's,
John
     governance at lists.cpsr.org