[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 2 19:56:43 EDT 2008

Siavash and all,

  I sympathize with your plight.  It is a reasonable one that needs
addressing.  Yet it is clear that when the IANA was not under
DOC/NTIA's supervision all sorts of shanagans went on unchecked,
and many people, especially users suffered terribly and unjustly.  Ergo,
the IANA especially needs all the "Adult" supervision it can get.

  I hope DOC/NTIA is not foolish enough of forgets the ravages of the
IANA pre-DOC/NTIA supervision, but still needs to do a better job
of streamlining it's proceedural methods to correct problems that you
Siavash have incorrectly suffered.

Siavash Shahshahani wrote:

> John,
>
> > The US DOC are not stupid, and they have been extremely careful not to
> > act in ways that would impinge on the sovereignty of other countries,
> > so although there's been a certain amount of harrumphing on principle
> > from some governments,
>
> It's not only governments and matters of sovereignty and principle, it
> also has to do with the day to day operation of IANA. You may not believe
> that a change of my fax number in IANA database(as a ccTLD
> operator)requires the non-trivial consent of DoC. But if you'd waited six
> months to have just such a change realized or had waited 3 1/2 years to
> have your IDN Language Table published in IANA Repository (something that
> normally required 5 days), you'd know what I'm talking about. Why have I
> kept quiet? Because I believe the ITU alternative is even worse. At this
> time I think the best thing is to keep repeating and insisting that US
> govt politics should not in any way affect IANA services, and if they do,
> then the USG is forfeiting whatever 'historical role' it claims to have.
> Siavash
> ex-ALAC, .ir director

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com