[governance] CofE/UNECE/APC study of IG information and participation

david.souter at runbox.com david.souter at runbox.com
Tue Apr 29 01:43:13 EDT 2008

Dear Colleague:

I have recently been commissioned by the Council of Europe, UNECE and the
Association for Progressive Communications to do some exploratory work about
the possibility of a "code of good practice on public participation, access to
information and transparency in Internet governance."

The CofE, UNECE and APC held a first workshop on this theme during the Rio IGF
meeting, with specific reference to the WSIS principles and to the UNECE Aarhus
Convention (which is concerned with information and participation on
environmental issues).	The present work aims to build towards discussion at
the Hyderabad IGF in December, but a first stage consultation workshop is
scheduled for Geneva on the 23rd of May and I will be completing the initial
discussion paper for this by the 12th of May.  The May workshop is notified on
the UNECE website at http://www.unece.org/env/pp/related.htm.

I am writing to members of the Internet Governance Caucus, therefore, to ask if
there is any input which you feel you would like to make to this work before
the May consultation meeting.  I would be particularly interested in any
thoughts you might have on:
o	present and desirable levels of (public and multistakeholder)
participation in internet governance issues;
o	potential participation principles;
o	information requirements for participation (and potential tools to meet
these);
o	and mechanisms which might either facilitate participation or oversee
changes in participation and information arrangements for the future;
as well as on those aspects of internet governance which you think require
priority attention where information and participation are concerned.

I would also be very interested in any experiences - good or bad, particularly
from within the internet space but also from outside it - which you think might
be helpful in thinking through options for information, participation and
transparency in internet governance.

Any thoughts you might be prepared to put forward on these issues, and any
references, would be most welcome and much appreciated - particularly if sent
to me at david.souter at runbox.com before the 10th of May.  Please also don't
hesitate to email me if you would like to discuss more generally.

David Souter
     governance at lists.cpsr.org