[governance] IGF workshops

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 20:38:29 EDT 2008

Dear Milton, and All:

This is a resonating comment regarding your post per Point 3 ('Rights').

At meetings I have attended regarding  'Rights'
approaches,*issue-spotting*parts seemed indeed very fruitful.

An outline or diagram or other such  - of interesting points
*though*controversial, or
*because* controversial  - should be exciting, even essential,  - and  per
se comprise real contributions to present and future considerations, and
also illumine past conversations on this focal if sometimes diffuse topic..
How could it be otherwise, with so much packed into it !

One imagines, btw, that speakers on particular matters might be encouraged
to submit their own individual descriptions of what the 'Internet / Rights'
domain looks like, and over what sub-topics it ranges; this challenging
exercise in itself can be so very educational when shared. on the pathway of
process, even in addition to any achieved products.

Hope this plugs into the w"hole"...

And sent with best wishes, Linda.
Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff
*Respectful Interfaces*.

On 4/28/08, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> > 1. The Transboundary Internet: Jurisdiction, Control and Sovereignty
>
> I support this as a caucus proposal. I would urge the group involved to
> be sure to add a speaker who is explicitly "anti-sovereign" or
> "globalist" in outlook to provide balance on the panel. I am sure there
> will be no shortage of people taking the other view.
>

> > 2. The Future of ICANN: After the JPA, What?
>
> I hope others will express their support for this one. Obviously I think
> its a good idea. One new development: Stefano Trumpy of Italy has agreed
> to participate, and we have established a promising connection to a
> major private sector registrar who will probably also participate. I
> have one (count 'em) volunteer from this list. We badly need developing
> country perspectives on this panel, imho.
>
> > 3. A Rights Agenda for Internet Governance
>
> I strongly support the idea of this workshop and believe in its
> potential value. Although there were disagreements aired on the issues
> it will raise, the long and substantive discussion proves that RAIG is
> precisely the kind of topic that needs to be "worked out" in a
> "work"shop. My main concern would be that the organizers of this panel
> NOT pretend that there is a unified conception of rights underlying our
> approach to the Internet, and especially that we do not pretend that
> there is a unified civil society position. I would ask this organizing
> group to pay careful attention to finding and including ideologically
> diverse viewpoints on the panel. Understand also that the highly diverse
> views will require careful time management, if one is to achieve full
> engagement.
>

> > 4. The role and mandate of the IGF
> >

> Strongly support the idea; the level of realization here seems less
> developed, no list of sponsors or invited speakers. However, the
> longstanding support for this concept within IGC, going back to last
> year or even before, makes it a no-brainer. I would ask the organizers
> to remove the word "overreaching" from the phrase "...contain the
> overreaching ambitions of those who would transform it..." near the end,
> as it seems less than impartial.
>
> Milton Mueller
> Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
> XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology

Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff
*Respectful Interfaces* Programme.
Individual e-post.
For I.D. only: Communications Coordination Committee for the United Nations
(CCC/UN) [ Civsci NGO].
International Disability Caucus, National Disability Party, United Nations
education, values, and technical committees;
Analyst, author, inventor in computing fields ARPANet forward.
Other Affiliations on Request.