[governance] IGF workshops

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Mon Apr 28 13:25:53 EDT 2008

Hi Parminder,

Thanks for this.  If we could clarify something before having to say yes or
no, I¹d appreciate it.

Is the idea that the IGC would be submitting only responses to the questions
that are supposed to be answered by 30 April, # 1, 2, 4 and 9?  Of are you
thinking of plugging in all the material now at hand for all nine,
irrespective of what state it¹s in and whether it¹s ready for prime time?
If it is the latter, maybe others have a different view, but I wouldn¹t
think it would be a procedural violation of the consensus call to simply
edit out some of the various process comments being exchanged among WG
members within these docs, like ³NB. Workshop duration is 90mn, which means
that we should have no more than 6-7 panelists plus chair² and ³it would be
good to have a government (or two) and an intergovermmental as co-sponsors -
i would propose the COE/UNESCO as possibilities - brazil, uk, australia,
others?² and ³we need to work on thisk, but for sure it will if we get the
right people as speakers² and lists of people/orgs that might (or might not)
be contacted about cosponsoring/speaking...etc.  It would be odd to me
anyway to include such material in something that will be reviewed by the
MAG.

A couple of substantive comments FWIW, which is not much I guess, given that
I¹ve missed the deadline.

I¹m still having a hard time getting my head around the precise focus of the
rights proposal (³What is lacking is a rights framework for Internet
governance that can address these issues and conflicts at each Œlayer¹ of
the Internet environment, from the critical Internet resources of
infrastructure and code through to the content and applications that they
support²---so all aspects of IG to be viewed as rights issues, not just
access?), its connection to internationally agreed HR vs creating new
rights, etc.

On the Fulfilling WS, I wonder how helpful it is to frame it in terms of
this binary: ³Some believe  that there are elements of the IGF's mandate
that have been overlooked  or minimised in its operation to date.  Others
maintain, to the  contrary, that the IGF must contain the overreaching
ambitions of  those who would transform it from a non-binding forum for
discussion  into something more.?²  Some MAGites et al might read this as
suggesting that those who think elements of the mandate have been overlooked
by definition want to ³transform it from a non-binding forum,² which is not
representative of the range of views/options and could set off alarm bells
and bring us back to the pre-Rio worrying about this being Œcontroversial¹
etc.  BTW, this needs to list at least one or two cosponsors, no?  Has the
WG reached out to anyone?

Best,

Bill