[governance] IGC workshops

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat Apr 19 05:53:56 EDT 2008

Bill,

>Hi Adam,
>
>On 4/19/08 10:49 AM, "Adam Peake" <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>>  Parminder, thanks for this.
>>
>>  The response to the call for workshops hasn't
>>  been overwhelming, actually very few, so the MAG
>>  has revised the call and by April 30 just a
>
>When will this info be on the website?

It's there now <http://www.intgovforum.org/workshop_info.htm>

"Stakeholders unable to complete all the information requested in the
online form by 30 April 2008 are invited to at least provide answers
to questions # 1,2,4 and 9."

I asked that the announcement be more prominent on the main page.
It's still hidden away.

>  > summary proposal will be OK.  I think all
>
>When would the final proposal be due?

No decision on that.  Idea is to get information in for the
consultation, discuss there and in the MAG meeting that follows and
take things from there.

>  > 9. Under which of the five IGF themes does the proposal fall under ?
>>  (access, critical Internet resources, diversity, openness, security)
>
>This I don't understand.  There has been discussion here and I gather in MAG
>of the utility of having some workshops that are designated as thematic and
>linked to the main sessions,

Correct.  I don't understand either.  Think it's a mistake.  In the
new workshop information
<http://www.intgovforum.org/workshop_info.htm> and proposal from the
last MAG meeting
<http://intgovforum.org/AGD/MAG.Summary.28.02.2008.v3.pdf> it's clear
that the old five themes aren't the core for this year.  The new
workshop information page reflects the MAG meeting report saying:

"Workshops can be proposed on the draft main sessions themes:

     * Universalization of the Internet - How to reach the next
billion (Expanding the Internet)
     * Low cost sustainable access
     * Multilingualization
     * Implications for development policy
     * Managing the Internet (Using the Internet)
     * Critical Internet resources
     * Arrangements for Internet governance
     * Global cooperation for Internet security and stability
     * Taking stock and the way forward
     * Emerging issues