[governance] Not Network Neutrality: Bandwidth pricing is the

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Fri Apr 18 08:55:03 EDT 2008

We are of course talking about final users (consumers, especially home
consumers) who in general cannot dream of paying $6,000 per year to be
fully connected at T1 speeds. We are talking about the victims of
arbitrary measures by operators of ADSL and similar services.

In Brazil we are mobilizing consumers' associations and consumer rights'
institutes to provide responses to these abuses. Consumer laws in Brazil
are good, but are worth nothing without mobilization. IDEC
(http://www.idec.org.br/english.asp), a leading, independent consumer
rights institute here, for example, is working with Rits and CGI.br (we
are providing them with technical support) to run independent tests of
such violations by ADSL providers. Preliminary findings just corroborate
what I have already said regarding arbitrary tampering with traffic.

Regarding actual speeds, other tests show that in general the link to
the "tier one" servers (the servers providing content by the ADSL
operator) are at or very near contract speeds. Content tampering and
speed limiting is done in the link to the outer tier. Naturally...

frt rgds

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org