[governance] Not Network Neutrality: Bandwidth pricing is the

John Levine icggov at johnlevine.com
Fri Apr 18 00:24:16 EDT 2008

>I agree. I am willing to pay but I'd like to know what I get for my
>money. It is about time that ISPs are required to deliver a specified
>minimum bandwidth instead of getting away with vague "up to"
>circumscriptions that leaves customers without any rights.

I have a connection that is reliably 1.544Mb each way.  It costs me
about $500/mo.  Similar connections at similar prices are widely
available in North America, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find
comparable service (perhaps E1 2Mb rather than T1 1.5Mb) in Europe at
similar high prices.

Guaranteed bandwidth is expensive to provide, and in most cases not
very useful to end users.  When you say you're willing to pay, how
much?  Twice what you pay now?  Ten times?

R's,
John
     governance at lists.cpsr.org