[governance] JPA Workshop idea

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Apr 17 03:11:59 EDT 2008

I have discussed with Parminder the possibility of working with this
caucus (IGC) in developing the following workshop proposal:

I have also contacted ICANN about it.

The Future of ICANN: After the JPA, What?

=====================================

ICANN, which coordinates and sets policy for the global domain name
system (DNS) and IP addressing, is linked to the US Government through a
Joint Project Agreement (JPA). The current JPA is schedule to expire
September 03, 2009. The JPA and its renewal process provide what, during
WSIS, became known as "political oversight" over ICANN.

The US government says that it is committed to "completing the
transition" to private sector coordination of the Domain Name System, a
policy which implies that the JPA will eventually expire. During the
recent mid-term review, ICANN made it clear that it also strongly
supports an end to the JPA and wishes to be a more independent,
internationalized organization. ICANN's call was supported by some
stakeholders, but others expressed concerns about ensuring its
accountability without some kind of governmental oversight.

This workshop is designed to provide a careful and balanced exploration
of whether ICANN is ready to be free of US government oversight, and if
so what kind of external oversight - if any - should replace it.
Panelists will be encouraged to provide specific models for ICANN's
status and various oversight models and offer practical suggestions on
how to make changes in the current situation. Advocates of retaining the
status quo will also be represented.

Initial (rough) suggestion of panelists: Note: I have not put specific
CS or developing country people below because I want to rely on this
group for suggestions and volunteers.

Please also note that it is essential that the workshop be composed of
people with specific, well-thought out proposals or principles regarding
how the transition should be made. I am not interested, and I doubt
anyone else is, in vague complaining about the JPA or US control without
proposing a better alternative. Panelists should either openly and
explicitly support the status quo or have a specific direction for the
proposed change. Time to fish or cut bait, as we say.

ICANN: Peter Dengate Thrush

IGP: Milton Mueller

Representative of European Commission

WITSA (multinational business) representative

BRIC country(ies)

Non-US Internet service provider