[governance] Not Network Neutrality: Bandwidth pricing is the

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Wed Apr 16 13:49:52 EDT 2008

On 15-Apr-08, at 1:54 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> The only way out of that dilemma is for customers to wise up and
> realize
> that you don't get something for nothing. Customers will need to learn
> to perceive the difference between a good service that costs a bit
> more
> and a shared flat-rate service that keeps them waiting.

If only!  I am willing to pay a lot more for "good service" (which
ipso facto includes net neutrality) if it were available to me.  But
it's not (and I live in an urban area of 450,000 people).  And, in
Canada, with only 4 prime carriers now being de-regulated in favour
of "market-based approaches," it isn't going to be.  In the name of
"customer service," they are going to throttle bandwidth use to avoid
building adequate capacity into the last mile.  As citizens (not
customers), it's way past time to "demand" public policy that
supports municipal ownership of open networks as a commons-based
public utility.

GG

     governance at lists.cpsr.org